Wednesday, November 22, 2006

IRONY

“IRONY”
Definition:
Basically the irony represent the opposite what it is. It is a kind of direct opposition between reality and appearance. We can say about irony that, what we expect, it doesn’t happen. Like what the character says in the story, the situation is fairly unexpected. There are mainly four types of ironies:

Verbal Irony
Dramatic Irony
Situational Irony
Cosmic Irony

Verbal Irony occurs when the character in the story say something about other character but it is totally suggests the opposite. The verbal irony related to the spoken things only. e.g. The story “The Necklace” shows the verbal irony at one stage when the lady fight with her husband for a new dress to go to the party but she does have a dress for the party.

Dramatic Irony is what the character says about other and he/she doesn’t know the truth but the reader or audience know the truth. e.g. “The Lamb to the Slaughter” story ends with the dramatic irony because Mrs. Maloney offered the police man and detective to eat the lamb which is the only evidence of that case. Then they start eating lamb instead of doing investigation.

Situational Irony is totally depending upon the situation. If the best soccer team also win the coin flip in the game. e.g. In the story “War”, the fat man try to hide his emotions and said everybody that don’t cry and he also motivate people that you should proud to your children because they laid their life for their motherland. At the end, when a lady asked him, ”Then…is your son really dead?” the he start crying and tears comes out from his eyes.

Cosmic Irony is like a tragic circumstance. Like you saved money in your whole life to buy a car and you bought it, then after two days your car get crashed. e.g. In the story “The Necklace” the character borrowed a necklace and she didn’t know weather it is original or fake, when she lost it she bought a new expensive necklace and give back to her friend. At the end it gave her a lot of hardship for a long time

14 comments:

LitWorld said...

I'm not too sure that your comment on cosmic irony is accurate.

Anonymous said...

I cant give an official comment yet because i haven't read the article about irony.

Anonymous said...

I've read it and i must say it's complete and accurate as far as the subject and the examples given are concern.

Anonymous said...

It was me..... Moises

Sorry Linda, i forgot to affix my name again for the second time.

Anonymous said...

Cindy has raised some questions about these examples. Does anybody else see some concerns?
Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

I have questions about the irony examples. I like to share my opinions with you.

The first one is verbal irony. I think the example is not very
accurate. I have another one, the lady wants to go to the party but
she need a new dress, so she tell her husband she doesn't want to go,but her intention is to get a new dress.

The second one is perfect.

The third one I don't know. I try to give a example. Most people don't like The US president George Bush, and they gave him many impolite comments. however, George Bush finally win his second election.

For the last one, I think it's fine. Ten years tough work exchange for a fake necklace. it's a tragic.

In the movie " Forrest Gump", Gump unexpected to get a lot of success.
his success belongs to the second or the third type of irony?

what about " it's the good advice that you just didn't take", does it
belong to cosmic irony?

Those are my opinions. I like to discuss with you all to get a good answer....

thanks in advance.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Do you think a better example of situational irony would be when, in "A Story of an Hour" when Mrs. Mallard reacts in an odd way when her husband dies? She is having happy thoughts and the setting is described so beautifully and so positively. It is in contrast to how we as readers think she should be responding to such news.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Now I know that situational irony is what the event develope is different from the readers prediction.

In "a story of an hour", when the laddy finds that her husband doesn't die, it's another example of situational irony. Am I right?

Anonymous said...

I believe you are right Cindy.

I wonder if other students are reading this.

I had thought that they would. I'm not sure if this is irony or disappointment :)

Cheers
Linda

Anonymous said...

hehe, I hope it's not irony

Cindy

Unknown said...

lol~ Here is a little busy.

Just pass by. Leave my name here~

I think your comments are helpful
for us~

Kai : )

Anonymous said...

the forest is green

Anonymous said...

the forest is green

Anonymous said...

Hello would you minԁ lеtting me knоω
which hosting cοmpanу you're using? I've loadeԁ
your blog іn 3 diffeгent inteгnet bгowѕerѕ and Ι must sаy this blοg loaԁs a lοt quicκer then most.
Can you suggeѕt a good hosting prοvider at a гeaѕonable ρrісe?
Τhanks а lοt, I аppreciatе it!


Ηere is my ωeb sіte Read Us